How can I renew an SSL certificate for a domain hosted on Naijadomains servers?
In case you have purchased an SSL certificate from any other certificate provider (not from Naijadomains), please request a CSR code from us as described in this article and contact your certificate provider for further assistance. Once they issue a renewal certificate for you, get back to us and we will install the certificate for you.
If your SSL certificate was purchased from Naijadomains, you will need to follow instructions below to renew it.
We strongly advise you to take care of renewing your SSL certificate prior to its expiration date as, unfortunately, the renewal of an expired certificate is not possible.
- Purchase a renewal certificate. When there are 30 days left till the expiration, you will see the “Renew” link next to your certificate in the account Dashboard (Log into your Account Panel > “Expiring soon” section > click on the ‘V’ button near the domain the certificate is activated for > locate the certificate due to expire with a cart icon next to it). You should click that icon and proceed to the checkout to pay for the renewal. Once you pay for the renewal certificate, you should activate it.
- Get a CSR code for the renewal certificate. In order to activate the renewal certificate you will need to obtain the CSR code for it. Please submit a ticket to our “SSL Certificates – Technical support” department with the request to generate a renewal CSR code for you and provide us with the following information:
- Host to make the certificate for (decide whether you want www in front of the domain or not)
- Country (2-letter abbreviation)
- Company Name
- Company Division
- Activate the renewal certificate. When you have the CSR code, you should follow the instructions below to activate your renewal certificate:
- Log into your Naijadomains account
- Go to the “Domain List” menu
- Select the ‘V’ button near your domain
- Locate the certificate with the status ‘New renewal’ in the drop-down list
- Click on the “Activate” button next to the renewal certificate:
- Enter the CSR code we provided you with
- Choose “Apache, Nginx, cPanel or other” from the web server dropdown list
- Select the domain control validation methodThere are three available methods for domain control validation. The first one is an approver email that can be sent to a domain-related email address (such as admin@, administrator@, postmaster@, webmaster@, hostmaster@) or to a Whois email address. The second method is HTTP-based and is performed by uploading a txt/html file to the root directory of the website (usually, it is a public_html directory). One more way to validate domain control is to set a CNAME record in the account with your DNS provider.
- Fill in the administrative contact information for the certificate.
- Approve the certificate issuance. The approver email is to be delivered to the approver email address shortly after you finish the activation process. If you do not receive the email in 2 hours, please refer to the instructions provided in this article. When you confirm the issuance by following the link in the approver email, you should receive the signed certificate to the administrative email address you indicated during activation. Processing the order by a Certification Authority may take about 2 hours. If thecertificate is not delivered in 2 hours, please review this article for help.If you select HTTP-based validation, the verification file should be accessible via the link http://yourdomain.com/filename.txt(htm) so that the system can validate the certificate. It will be possible to download the needed file from your account once the activation process is completed.
- In case of DNS-based validation, the CNAME record will be also displayed for you once activation is completed. Please create the record in the account of your DNS provider and add the minimum possible TTL value you can. After the record is validated, the certificate should be sent to you by email.
- Provide us with the certificate that you received and we will install it on the server.
NOTE: Usually, a dedicated IP address is required for SSL installation. However, you have an opportunity to install your SSL certificate on a shared IP address thanks to the SNI technology available with the cPanel control panel. Please pay attention that there are a few issues that may occur. Check the article and if SNI works for you, we will install an SSL without ordering a dedicated IP address. Please mention your decision in a ticket to us – whether you wish to order a dedicated IP address or want to have your SSL installed using the shared IP of the server.
- Information in the renewal CSR should be identical to the information given in the original CSR. Otherwise, days left before expiration of the original SSL may not be added to the validity term of the renewal SSL.